Reflective journal.
SADI-Cardiff metropolitan University MDes
Doyoon Chee
[My project is developing kids
cooking class’ environment better. Since the main purpose to participate on
cooking class is to develop kids creativity, however current cooking environment
(include tools, teacher, environment) is not proper for creativity development.]
This semester (How did I reach
the final proposal? Difficult point and learning point from each step )
1. Arrangement last semester’s project. I decided to keep going last
semester’s project, kids cooking and notice that there The output of last semester is
too IOT(Internet of things) related.
It should be needed to enlarge the range of communication among people.
2. If protector is essential during kids cooking, and want to communicate
more, It could better to play with kids, not teaching. So I decided to keep
going with ‘play theory’. I found a Spanish artist ‘Javier Mariscal’ He call
himself “The art
Player”. Through his art works he leads audience to make their own
imagination world. Each of his work is a “play” individually and it gives new aspect to see the world. (not
only for kids but also for adults). And I did mid term proposal presentation.
3. However the comments from professors was that I should have thought more
on ‘the foundation reason of why kids are doing the cooking activity.’
Therefore I decided to visit real cooking class for kids to find design problem
and know user’s (kids) unmet needs. Before I visit. I seted the ultimate goal
of cooking is ‘developing kids creativity.
4. I visited kids cooking class in Korea, Seoul. It was quite difficult to
capture all scenes since I couldn’t capture video for right of likeness reason. Even though I got permission for taking
pictures. –an ethical issue
5. I did interview with
parents with kids who participate cooking class and expert interview with
teachers in cooking class. I wrote all the comments and action from it. With
data from observation and interview, I did AEIOU frame work which is one way of
open coding to analysis user’s unmet needs. This is my first time to analysis
qualitative research. It was helpful to find keyword and categorize the
behavior and unmet needs of user.
6. I found some keyword
(core value or big problem) from researches and I read a lot of thesis and
books related to the keyword. And finally I got conviction about the keyword
that I found is truly important and valuable to solve.
7. I did one more
observation and expert interview to check if the keyword is important or not.
8. It changed a lot
from what I expected at first, and it is still unclear, however during the
process I found that the topic that I chose is proper for master degree.
9.
I did book seminar with book [design method 101] – I could try various design
methods such as ….
10. I learned a lot about thesis from book [How to write a better thesis]
It was almost my first time to read book in English, so it took a long time to
read and understand the context.
(10-1) I thought about what is ‘design problem’ through this semester. It
was hard for me to find proper design problem in the cooking field at first.
11. I’ve changed my mind to focus on ‘kids cooking class’ from ‘cooking at
home’ for some reasons. Above all, cooking class has more business opportunity.
Feedback from professors.
-There was no link between creativity and play environment (it is hard to
understand the link between creativity
and play environment)
-There will be key elements
that I have to research more. (for example, If I will focus on creativity, it
is good to study related data such as creativity process.)
-I should make proper layer
related to pedagogy. Should make education learning scenario, and that will be
resources of my research.
-Study more about learning,
creativity, cooking environment and find function and characteristic. It is
good to define common and different factors among them. Find the balance.
-It seems ‘play environment’
is too far from cooking activity. It is better to focus more on ‘creativity’
and ‘self leading’. I have to find ‘self leading’s sub elements. Not playful
environment.
- I found I have to research and
study more about ‘creativity of children’ deeply. And analysis quantitative
data from the resources again. If I focus on certain keywords, then I can make
the thesis aim more simply and clearly.
- As for the design process,
there are 3 steps. 1 defining problem, 2suggest an alternative 3problem solving.
I have to proof that “There is problem with cooking class environment for kids
to develop creativity” first.
last semester
-last semester, it was
difficult to find proper observation target since the research was proceeded in UK and I was
foreigner so it was hard to find parents with kids. But here in Korea, accessibility is better so it
was easy to find proper target.
- It was difficult to set target age at first and
I studied kids physical/recognition development growth. And from expert
interview I found that divide with age group is useless for cooking class with
parents (helper).
댓글 없음:
댓글 쓰기