2016년 7월 28일 목요일

Reflective journal in July-2016



Reflective journal in July-2016

In July, I was busy by making concept and solutions. Different from SADI project, there is only one solution for a whole year, I had burden to ideation so it took time.
* Process of making solution
-At first, I arranged every single idea from coding in excel.
-I chose 3 big problems of self leading and 3 big factors that boost kids’ self leading attitude, and I matched cause and effect each of it.
-There was solution that match with obstacle but the other was not.
-I rephrased problems with intuitive and easy word. So that solution could match with problem naturally. (By doing this process again and again, I could found proper words and phrase. And it took time to do this process
-When I thought the cause and effect is reasonable and match with ‘self leading’, I started to do ideation with it. If I found something is wrong, I get back to this process again.
 
Word selection
- Self leading -Children cognitive clearly what they did in class and achieve goal in certain time
by using all sorted knowledge and information. (Comparisons on self-directedness and concentration of the children montessori nursery school and general nursery school,김시나브로,2009)
-Self directedness – is concept which is cognitive learner as a conative learning subject. Concept that is come to the fore to explain adults’ autonomous learning activity. (Knowles,1975)
- Personal initiative can be defined as a behavior synfrome that results in an individual taking an active and self-starting approach to
worl goasl and task and persisting in overcoming barriers and setbacks (cf. Frese, Fay, Hilburger, Leng, & Tag, 1997; Frese, Kring, Soose, & Zempel, 1996).


Desk research
Among various concept of self leading, I chose proper concept for me.
Factors of self leading:
Openness, Self-concept, The initiative, Responsibility
Learning eagerness, Future directivity, Creativity, Problem solving capability
(Guglielmino, L. M. (1977). Development of the self-directed learning)
It was hard to select proper sub elements of self leading. It is not perfect though, I agree with this theory
I added up Factors of self leading after done the ideation

About initial solution
I searched references (interaction factors for kids) and I wrote down ideas from daily life. From my memo and references, I could find solution.
1.     Communication in group class
2.     Before and After activities
3.     Boring kids
I kept thought if there is a link between my solution and ‘self leading’. And if it could improve children’s self-leading. It was a fact that I worried most. The first solution was too complex and I kept leave regret that the 3 solutions couldn’t be bound into one product. So I checked idea once again.

Second (Final )solution
Problem1 :  No feedback (limited feedback)
Problem2: Consider before and after activity is not important (unconscious priority)
Problem3: Fear toward spoiling food

Solution1: Kids can answer teacher’s question at their individual desk anonymity with visual tools.
Chance for everyone can answer.
Solution2: Before activity : Talking about materials so that boost visual and feelers
   After activity – with material graphic, kids and parents can communicate about cooking
Solution3: Can experience : (combination between ingredient and ingredient/ combination between ingredients and gadgets ) with visual material.- overcome time limitation

Solution bridge:
According to [Effect of gifted self-determination and failure tolerance, 최종승, 2014], Sub elements of Self-determination is proportional to every sub elements of Self-directedness learning
By combine interaction factors and experiment concept which is free activity relatively.
Kids can explore given task by self-leading. Also can test curiosity with self-leading

Process to Chefoo Lab
I looked at problem again and I thought cooking class is procedural activity rather than creative activity. Because once kids spoiled the dish in process, whole food is spoiled. For this reason kids are afraid of ruin their dish and that is a situation that kids could be lack of ‘self-leading’ attitude. By following main menu procedural, and provide experimental process in middle of class, kids could improve ‘self-leading’ attitude
I wanted to provide teach and interact with kids both emotionally, digitally and physically. The way this concept tries to link the digital education/entertainment and the physical aspect of cooking

Contents of Chefoo LAB
1. Kids can answer to the question with card on their individual table. Give chance to everyone to answer
:I come up with ‘card’ idea since there is limitation to use real ingredients.
2. Before activity : coloring card / After activity - Bring card at home and check the ingredient one more time with parents by QR code.-conversation about the menu
:With QR code parents can easily access to information.
3. Combination between ingredients and ingredients or Combination between ingredients and tools using card.
:this can be expand to elder children who is up to 8 years old. Using puzzle material has countless expandability.

Expandability
If the card is in puzzle shape, kids can combine not only two card but also combination of many materials and gadgets.

Target of Chefoo Lab
Target : parents of actual user
-Actual user
Children (4-7 years old )
Doesn’t limit children’s age, but 4 to 7 years old kids are main target which is most flexible age
to improve personal initiative and  creativity.
-Scope :
Korean kids cooking class (especially temporary class)

Materials
Card/book
Consider way to hang cards- box/hook/ holder…
Paper selection ; box : craft paper, card : mineral paper

Process of branding
-color : Red and yellow is main color which stimulate the palate. I chose blue and yellow first, but I thought blue is not suitable for cooking
-logo : Failure is okay in ‘Chefoo Lab’.  Icon looks like frying pan and flask also. I combined icon and typo to make logo
-Naming : chef + Laboratory

Design concept : Easy, simple
Design (card) should looks easy to use. And the process should be easy to understand.

Why card and RFID, QR code?
Card is portable, flexible and can use both side. Card is proper solution for side activity of cooking. QR code need camera so I used RFID in prototype, however in near future, we would use two QR code at the same time. I asked professor Seo to help making RFID prototype,

After all I wrote abstract again



Final reflective (about whole process)
Writing process and flow of each semester was interesting and also boring sometimes. By having final one week ahead, I read all reflective journal that I wrote. I was so pleasured that my project upgraded up to this stage that I couldn’t expect at that time. I have never wrote process by my self like this journey, but if I wrote reflective journal at SADI, it must be helpful a lot.

As I mentioned before in first semester’s journal, It is very good opportunity for me to research one subject for a whole year. Furthermore the subject is about ‘kids’ that I love the most. Researching kids is interesting and also not easy to do. I couldn’t found a research that I want so I had to listen to their parents and teacher and had to observation kids carefully. By interview and observation I could find the exact causes of problem.
Coding is a research methodology, which is using for analysis ethnography data.  I have never tried coding before. But I learned a lot from coding, and I think it is an important ability for UX designer.
Unavoidably, ethnographic data is subjective and by doing coding, I could proof my concept with logic. I always thought my project is lack of logic, but this time coding was a frame for my work. Supplement point is that doing coding in middle of third semester is little bit late. I think it is better to do coding in end of second semester, because student can make their mind by coding and find concept earlier.

Design process is divided into 4D, which is discover, define, develop, and deliver. By doing ‘discover’ and ‘define’ I spend almost 1/8 of a year and doing ‘develop’ and ‘deliver’ is short term relatively.
It means that research and finding research problem was hard and task that took time. As for the subject selection, if I carefully consider the subject, I could approach more interesting research than now.

Difficulty of problem statement
Two other students who is studying with me were dealing with severe social problem that is visible so that defining problem look easier. Otherwise mine is about kids cooking class, which is already well-made service so it was difficult to define the problem and difficult to proof importance of it. However I had confidence and with collected data I could sure my self.

Final
Looking at the big picture, this course was good chance for me to think about field that I want. I graduated product design major and always thought I will be work as a product designer. By experiencing UX and service design, I could widen my vision to broad field. Service, which can include product and story, is what I can do better with interest, still it is broad field.
If there were more time for me, I would do research more about kids’ development characteristic.
Relationship between solution and self leading
1. Kids can answer to the question with card (visual material) without burden. Since it is anonymous, kids react actively Irrespectively to children’s characteristic
2. Interaction factors
- Interested in reaction
3. Freedom to combine ingredients and tools
-overcome limited time and material 


Discussion
My thesis is about kids cooking class service, which is increasing currently. For digital native kids I suggested a cooking class as a hobby with interaction between analog and digital. With analog and digital interaction, kids will do their activity more actively.
I argue that ‘self leading’ is an important factor of kids development. So finding way to boost children’s self leading factor will be a key factor of developing experience.
limitation : limitation of approach to professional. –I need to do user test after presentation in August.






댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기